Pikangikum First Nation is an isolated indigenous community in Northwestern Ontario whose Chief and Council welcomes children and youth ministry amongst their people. With over 1200 school aged children and youth in the community, there are endless opportunities to share God’s Word, and a GREAT need for additional labourers.
Resident missionary Colleen Estes is needing an individual, a couple, or a team to come alongside her and work in Pikangikum full time and take much of the children and youth ministry load as she continues to serve the community primarily in pastoral care and in being a “spiritual mom” to many.
Resilience, perseverance, flexibility, patience, and a passion for Jesus and ministry to children/youth are key requirements!
- 35% (14 hrs/week) Christian Education Classes, planning and delivery of 4 ½ hr classes 4 days a week and covering when Colleen is unavailable
- 50% (20 hrs/week) Eagle’s Nest/Night Light youth programming, mentoring and discipling youth, planning and special events, encouraging and equipping other volunteers to get involved and participate in outreach in the community
- 15% (6 hrs/week) Sunday School Leadership, Assisting and helping to run the Sunday school program based out of the Eagle’s Nest/Night Light youth building
- Other ministry opportunities as required
- Consults with and reports to Colleen Estes
- Mentors and encourages other teachers and community members, equipping and empowering them for ministry.
- Work with other youth centre in town to provide quality youth programming in Pikangikum
- Work with the school as available to incorporate programming and fun events at the school where possible
- Location: This job is performed in Pikangikum and may require traveling.
- Overtime requirements: A standard work week consists of 40 hours. Occasional overtime may be required.
- Overtime Compensation: When work over 44 hrs per week is required, 1 ½ time of that amount may be taken off the following work week.
- Deep commitment to the Biblical purpose of the local church
- Aptitude or gifts of organization or administration
- Strong communication skills, oral and written
- Experience working with children and youth
- Experience in cross-cultural ministry
- Good relational skills